Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Embracing Femininity.

One thing that really bothers me is that women can be, and often are, confused about their place in the world. You don’t know what I mean? Well, let me explain; I’m going to give you a brief little history lesson here. This problem probably all started a long time ago, way back in the Bible times, in both the New and Old Testament, and even sometimes nowadays.  Anyway, for as long as the world can remember, men were often thought of as superior to women. For a long time, in many cultures and in some cultures today, a woman was expected to obey a man without question, without complaint - kind of like a child or a servant.
Most women did not like this, I think, they wanted to be treated like a man (For lack of a better way to describe it). In America, they wanted the right to vote; why should their sons and husbands be allowed to but not them? When all women in the United  States were finally given this right, they didn’t stop there. They wanted to be independent and free, like a man. I’m not saying this is a bad thing at all - I’m actually very glad these lovely ladies decided to take the steps they did. But I think during this time, the culture started changing in the U.S. It was and still is very easy to change from wanting to be treated equally by a man to wanting to be treated the same as men.
During the fight to be treated equally, a lot of women made the mistake of forgetting how valuable women are. By now, in your teenage years, I’m guessing it’s pretty obvious to you that there are physical differences between men and women, so I don’t have to tell you that.  I don’t know about you but I believe that God made women unique in our own way.  Somewhere along the line, this was forgotten. We need to remember that we were made different but equal. And thus, we shouldn’t desire to be treated like men. We’re still equal, but we should never forget who God made us to be.
But this by no means gives us a license to take it to the other extreme by flaunting our physical differences. I for one, would rather be feminine than sexy.  Beautiful, not hot. I hope you desire to make that choice, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment