Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Modesty Starts at the Heart: Part 1

Maybe you have been told over and over by your parents, people at church, perhaps even your older siblings to dress more modestly. Maybe not. It could be that you have struggled in the past on this issue but think you do a good job at covering your body now. If you have grown up in a Christian home, have Christian friends, or go to church, you have most likely heard the term “modest” referred to as a way of dressing. It is - but it is so much more than that. It can’t be limited to a list of rules because, really, it starts at the heart. It has to be something you’re working towards not only in the way you dress, but in your heart as well. Since I really began to understand it, I have always wanted to dress modestly. A few months ago, however, I started to think about pushing the limits a little bit. Like wearing a shirt I knew was too low in the neckline. I would ignore my conscience saying “uh-oh, this is gonna attract attention to the wrong areas” because, well, I felt like I wanted attention attracted there. And it wasn’t as bad as most girls I see … And if I wear it just this once, it couldn’t hurt anything ...
Okay, ladies, I know what you’re thinking. Don’t tell me that you never have thoughts along those lines because every girl has at sometime or other. Whether that shirt I decided to wear that day was as bad as the way most girls were dressing or not, I didn’t do the right thing by wearing it. Here are the reasons why:

1. I knew in my heart that it was going to attract attention to the wrong places.

2. I went against what my conscience told me I should do.

3. I had to reason to myself that it was okay. (Not to mention the bad reasoning)

Bottom line is; modesty starts at the heart. If I dress immodestly but deep-down don’t know that I’m doing wrong, I’m much better off than if I had pushed the limits to make myself appear as “hot” as possible without showing much skin. God has been working in my heart lately to want to dress modestly and act modestly without pushing limits. I read the Modesty Survey on the Rebelution website which really change my outlook on that. It encouraged me to change my heart about the whole thing and not think of it as something I have to do but something I want to. I was very excited to find that Christian guys really do appreciate modesty and that’s something most of them will look for in their future wife.



No comments:

Post a Comment