Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Beauty in the Midst of Chaos

     My life is insane right now. This weekend I literally did nothing but work and study microbiology, except for going to church on Sunday morning; does that even count as a weekend? I work 10 hours a week, attend school for 4 hours a day, do homework for 5 hours a day, have a 45 minute commute, and I do actually like to see family and friends every once in a while. I try to get 7 hours of sleep, but that doesn't always happen. Lab today, work tomorrow, doctors appointment on Thursday, calculus exam on Friday... I don't mind work. I like being busy! But at times it can get a little overwhelming. That's when I'm thankful for beautiful days like yesterday... let my share my journal entry with you:

     Today was beautiful. As we drove out of tbe fog over the bridge, it gradually melted into visibility. The sunrise was pale against a clear blue sky, just wisps of color in the clouds. We could see all the way to the mountain, where the clouds were turning gold at 7:40. The trees were a dark green and a flock of birds flew silhouetted against the clear morning. There was no wind and the fog coated the miles of trees and land between us and the mountain. Soon, it rolled in off the water and blanketed school. The sun rose, a pale white circle through the clouds. When they burned off, a brilliant, clean blue sky was left for the rest of the day.
   
     This afternoon, I got ready for my run and realised I was excited to get out and move after a weekend of work. I decided to go farther than normal and head out to the bridge that leads to the island. I'm so glad I did. It was about an hour before sunset and the tide was out. The water was calm and still, reflecting the clear blue sky with the wispy clouds just beginning to golden. The cumulus clouds piled up on the horizon.  The dark trees were reflected in the water and the whole scene was caught in the haze of sunlight. A bird was catching a fish in the tidal pools. A man walked alone on the flats. Dead Man's Island was dark against the bright ocean. Behind me, the colorful houses and boats and trees of the suburbs shimmered in the water. As the cars (including a police car) drove around me, I hung off the side of the bridge there, soaking in the warm sun, absorbing the beauty, and grinning at the world.


Water. Trees. Fog. Light. Sun
Colors.

     I didn't get pictures of any of this. It was a day for enjoying and absorbing and waving at people and smiling. Beauty in the midst of chaos.

11 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
    let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
12     let the field exult, and everything in it!
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy

No comments:

Post a Comment